Chris Anderson interviewed Elon Musk about the Tesla cars, SpaceX, and his new venture Solar City . Elon has a lot of great ideas for improving humanity while also making money.
Maryn McKenna wrote an interesting article for Wired about what happens when the current anti-biotics stop working . Unfortunately she lists increasing food prices as a consequence, really the unreasonably low price of meat is due to the misuse of anti-biotics that is causing this problem.
Linda Walther Tirado wrote an interesting article about being poor titled “Why I Make Terrible Decisions, or, Poverty Thoughts” . It gives a real insight into the situation of people who are trapped in poverty. When someone who is as obviously intelligent as Linda feels that it’s impossible to escape poverty there is a real problem in the system. While Australia doesn’t suck nearly as badly as the US in this regard (higher minimum wage and better health care) we still need to improve things, I know people in Australia who’s experience bears some similarity to Linda’s.
Maxwell Neely-Cohen wrote an interesting article about peer pressure . Some of the conclusions are dubious, but the ideas on the way the Internet changes peer relationships in high school are interesting.
There are some decent people in the Liberal Party, Liberal MP Warren Entsch attacks Cory Bernardi on ‘gay obsession’ . AFAIK we haven’t yet had a gay sex scandal involving a homophobic Australian politician…
-  http://tinyurl.com/ovwctme
-  http://tinyurl.com/cz93dpq
-  http://www.ted.com/talks/elon_musk_the_mind_behind_tesla_spacex_solarcity.html
-  http://tinyurl.com/jwcyomu
-  http://www.ted.com/talks/paul_piff_does_money_make_you_mean.html
-  http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/11/end-abx/
-  http://tinyurl.com/nucpwg2
-  http://thenewinquiry.com/essays/everybodys-doing-it/
-  http://tinyurl.com/qxptgvd
-  http://tinyurl.com/k69mqo9